If you like bacon and like mushrooms, try this delicious keto breakfast. If you want more carbs, add a bowl of fruit on the side. Makes 4-6 servings.
- 8 slices sugar-free bacon
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 C sliced green onions
- 4 C shredded cabbage (red or green)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 4 large eggs (I use duck eggs)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- For quickest mealtime assembly, do some of the prep in advance: shred the cabbage, slice the green onion, slice the mushrooms, mince the garlic (mushrooms, onions, and garlic can all go into the same bowl).
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- While skillet is heating, dice bacon.
- Place diced bacon in hot skillet and fry until crisp.
- Add mushrooms, green onions, and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring as needed, until mushrooms are golden (about 5 minutes).
- While veggies are cooking, in a large bowl beat the egg, then mix in the shredded cabbage and salt.
- When mushrooms are golden, add cabbage mixture to the skillet. Stir quickly, then divide into an equal number of 3-4″ patties. Press these down firmly. Cook about 4-5 minutes, then turn and cook another 4-5 minutes.
Note: For make-ahead freezer meals, omit step 7. Instead, remove cooked mushroom/bacon mixture from the pan and stir it into the egg/cabbage mixture. Divide into individual portions (English muffin rings work well) and freeze. At mealtime, place frozen patty directly onto hot skillet and cook 4-5 minutes per side. If you can’t freeze these in patties, it would work to freeze in muffin cups, then place in the refrigerator to thaw overnight before cooking.