This recipe freezes well, so when you have time, mix up a big batch and divide it into individual serving containers to store in your freezer.
- Chop bacon and fry it until cooked. In order to fit in the pan, you will probably need to divide it into multiple batches. If making a large batch to freeze, cook bacon slices, then chop up 3 slices per serving and place directly into individual storage containers. Otherwise, when cooked to desired level of doneness, remove bacon from pan and drain. Leave grease from final batch in the pan.
- While bacon is cooking, peel and chop the root vegetables into about 1/4″ cubes.
Once bacon is cooked and removed from pan, add the cubed root vegetables to the bacon grease and cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until veggies start to soften.
- While root veggies are cooking, wash, core, and chop the apples. Sprinkle apple pieces with the lemon juice.
- When root vegetables are beginning to soften, add the apples to the pan and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until everything is tender.
- Meanwhile, after apple has been added to the pan and is cooking, chop up the broccoli into very small pieces.
- When everything in the pan is done, stir the broccoli into the pan and add the bacon back. Sprinkle with garlic powder and stir well. Cook until broccoli is done and bacon is hot.
Nutrients (if I did the math right):